Saturday, October 16, 2010

hey mambo, mambo italiano!

Italia.was.old
Getting to Italy {I thought} was scary. It was scary for one reason: I was alone. This was the very first time that I've gone all the way from post in Garmisch all the way to our hostel in Rome. The part I was most terrified of was getting from the airport in Rome {through the train, metros, and streets}. But, my lovely mother found very specific directions {literally told me what to look for and such} about which metros and trains to take and what streets to turn on. The only problems I had was:
  1. I walked too far on both streets I had to walk on- easily fixed.
  2. I was about to freak out in the metro. I had on all my lays {and my backpack} with it being jammed packed and hot as no other. I would not have lasted 10 more seconds in that thing.
Anyway, I was previously told that our hostel wanted the money from all five of us for all three nights up front in cash before we could get into our room. Luckily all they needed was to scan a copy of my id. Thank goodness :) So that night, I dropped all my stuff off in our room, and walked to a cute little restaurant. This was only the second time in my life that I ate dinner alone {the other time was in Austria while I was here too}. It actually was fun! I asked for just a glass of white wine and he brought this out {I was stunned to see on my bill it was only 3 Euros!}. Oh and this was my dinner too!

So the next day, we all got up early {the girls got to the hostel pretty late that first night} and we made our way tooooooo:

Collosio


Ruins



Gelato of course!

Roman National Museum
Pantheon
Trevi Fountain
Spanish Steps
That was all one day. The next day we hopped a train to Naples then from there to Pompeii. I had originally wanted to do my DODDS placement in Naples. My Aunt Susie told me how scary and unsafe it was. Boy, was she right. It was so sketchy there. I hated it. I have never felt so unsafe in my life. May have just been all in my head, but still. Didn't like it really. But as far as Pompeii goes, it was really cool! I have wanted to go here for yeaaaarrs. It did not live up to my expectations but nevertheless, it was pretty amazing. Here goes for the Pompeii pictures:

Mt. Vesuvisu

Fast food- Pompeii style
Anyone who truly knows me, understands just why this pizza was my favorite!
Well this was Italia for me! Can't believe that this was my 3rd time being here and my 2nd time in Rome. Wow how blessed am I! No trips planned for the near future :)

-Linds

No comments:

Post a Comment