Friday, September 17, 2010

Austria!

Salzburg.was.beautiful.

So this past weekend {september 11} I took a day trip to Salzburg, Austria [can't believe I get to take day trips to European countries!]. It ended up taking about 4 1/2 hours to get from Garmisch to Salzburg. I had to head north to Munich, then back south (passing Garmisch) to Salzburg. BUT when I finally got there, I was really surprised to see a city. If you didn't know, Salzburg is where they filmed the Sound of Music. And anyone who's seen that movie knows how beautiful Austria is pictured. This is what I was expecting when I got off the train. Instead I was greeted with tons of construction and city noise. But I was determined to get that 'Sound of Music' feel while I was there. So I took a chance on a bus tour that lasted two hours and took us around the major parts of Salzburg. I knew that this tour bus was a good idea because there were many older people on this tour {and you know that these people spent weeks planning this trip while I spent a matter of minutes}. This bus allowed us an hour at a stop of our choosing. It was fun to see the fast tour of the city, but my 2nd favorite part of this day trip was a castle we saw. It was on these beautiful grounds, the gazebo scene from 'Sound of Music' was actually here. I didn't have time to find it though :(. BUT I did get some beautiful pictures.


A view from the bridge while driving on the bus



Here was a beautiful garden.
Front of a castle

This was the side of one of the castles
I absolutely love this picture. I love how everywhere here there are beautiful parks with benches everywhere and people actually use them to sit and enjoy the day!


Onto my favorite part of the trip...of course....food. On our way to the train station to leave Garmisch we didn't stop at the Bäckerei for just coffee and a croissant, no way. We go those plus an entire baguette, a thing of salami, and drumrollll......a half a stick of butter. It was THE best lunch on a train I think I'll ever have. And the Austrian dinner/dessert was wonderful too :)
hmmm dinner :)

and of course...apple strudel :)

I'm a little behind on my blogging with being so busy teaching. Next blog.... Oktoberfest!

-Linds

No comments:

Post a Comment